How Do Infections Occur in the Delivery Room?
In the delivery room, expecting mothers should feel nothing but excitement of the moments to come. The arrival of their baby should be a celebrated thing, but there are numerous problems that can turn a joyous occasion into one of disaster for a mother.
Whether they are the ones affected or it causes problems for the baby, there are times when infections are introduced in the delivery room and it can be damaging to the health of those harmed. When the infection is contracted due to negligence, the mother can take action against the doctor for the damages she or her baby suffered.
What Causes Infections?
Medical professionals are responsible for the care and safety of their patients. When they fail to take steps to prevent bacterial infections to mothers and newborns, they can be found liable for any harm that is suffered. Some of the things that can cause infections include the following:
- Equipment that hasn’t been properly sterilized, including scalpels, forceps, vacuum extractors, and other tools
- Unwashed clothing being used during the delivery, including old and unwashed gowns, rubber gloves, and other clothing
- Excessive fluids that may be present in the baby—including in the nose, throat, and mouth—that hasn’t been removed immediately following birth
- Improper post-labor care for baby’s born through C-section, as well as when baby’s are not properly washed once their temperature regulates
Some of the common infections that can occur in the delivery room include:
- E. coli
- Other infections contracted due to non-sterilized equipment or passed from mother to baby
Beam Legal Team is here to protect mothers and families following complex situations that lead to either mother or baby suffering significant harm as a result of negligence. We know that legal matters against large medical facilities can be complex, and we’re never afraid to go to trial if it means helping our clients.
With our Chicago birth injury attorneys on your side, you can feel peace of mind every step of the way. Let us be your voice.